There are many ways to support our undocumented brothers and sisters and work for justice here in Charlottesville!
Join a “Circles of Protection” Team being formed by the Charlottesville-Albemarle Immigrant Resource and Advocacy Network and the Central Virginia Sanctuary Network:
- Rapid Response Hotline/Sin Barreras contact line -response to Immigration and Customs Enforcement raids in real time; communicate accurate information, provide assistance to the family and make referrals as appropriate, record/video so that the event is documented
- Hospitality -provide food and other items to families that have lost their breadwinner
- Transportation -getting and/or accompanying people to work, medical services, school, ICE hearings, to their consulate, to visit family held at the Farmville Detention Center, and to safe places
- Financial support -for food, rent, and contributions toward bonds and legal fees for families torn apart by detention and deportation of the family breadwinner
- Legal assistance and advocacy:
- Sin Barreras and Legal Aid and Justice Center Know Your Rights and Power of Attorney workshops; accompany persons to ICE check-ins and court hearings
- Volunteer with the Capital Area Immigrant Rights Coalition, supporting legal teams that provide assessment and legal services to new detainees at Farmville Detention Center
- Support the Legal Aid and Justice Center Immigrant Advocacy Program and Refugee Kids in Court program
Visit people in detention at Farmville Detention Center, in concert with other congregations and Detention Watch
Respond to threatened deportations of specific persons by making phone calls, writing letters, and/or joining public witness on their behalf.
For further information, contact Gene Locke at