Thank you 8:30!
After three town hall meetings over three consecutive months, receiving over 60 surveys regarding the elements and style of the 8:30 worship service, and holding a joint meeting between the Worship Committee and Music Committee, we are ready to present the results. But first of all, we want to express our thanks for all your wonderful words of affirmation and support. The written comments you provided were positive, constructive, and caused us to prayerfully reflect on the continued importance of worshipping God at 8:30 am. Out of our deliberations, here’s what we have discovered:
- People love the meditative and reflective nature of the service.
- People desire a shorter worship experience (approx. 50 min.).
- Some folks want to grab a cup of coffee and connect with others after this service. The worship committee will be working on the logistics of a fellowship time following worship. Don’t be surprised if you are asked to help out, (i.e. if you want coffee and a moment to chat with someone.)
- We discussed having The Sacrament of Holy Communion every Sunday, but with our time constraints and the desire for special music, prayers of the people, and a sermon, that’s not possible. However, during the season of Lent (2018) at 8:30, for 6 Sundays, we will offer communion by intinction during the service. For a season, we’ll try it out and evaluate our experience.
- On the music front, Megan Sharp, our wonderful Director of Fine Arts, will be searching for people to share their musical talents at 8:30 for the offertory. We appreciate Jonathan’s exceptional work on the organ, but once a month, Megan will be inviting others to share their musical gifts in worship. We will also be exploring the feasibility and desire to purchase the new Presbyterian hymnal, Glory to God.
- As in the 11:00 service, we will see about providing a Deacon of the Day at the 8:30 service, so that following the early morning worship experience, you have the option of receiving personal prayers from one of our Pastoral Deacons.
- Currently, we are slated to take a break from the 8:30 worship service from the second Sunday of Advent (December 10, 2017) through the annual meeting (January 21, 2018). This year, we will only have an 11:00 service for this period of time, but as the 8:30 worship service grows in numbers, we will consider the feasibility of keeping both services for the 2018-19 season.
Thanks again 8:30. May God’s Spirit continue to shape our worship experience at Westminster Presbyterian Church. Ken