Through the ministry of the church, we seek to support important work beyond our church walls that fulfills our mission: sustained by grace, we are called to serve Christ, share God’s love and work for justice in a complex world. Westminster strives to budget at least 20% of all pledge income to mission and benevolence. Designated benevolence includes giving to the PC(USA) via Presbytery of the James, University Mission, and setting aside funds for mission trips. The Benevolence Committee allocates the undesignated funds to local, national, and international efforts. Favored are those applicants who have made significant impact and in which WPC members are active in leadership and/or operations. Funding has directly addressed issues of education, children’s services, refugee work, medical care, providing shelter, eliminating hunger and more. Recent examples of our recipients are: The Alliance for Interfaith Ministry (AIM), Charlottesville Free Clinic, Charlottesville Habitat for Humanity, International Rescue Committee (IRC), ChildHealth (previously CHIP), Mediation Center of Charlottesville, PACEM, PROSAMI, Shelter for Help in Emergency (SHE), Sin Barreras (Without Borders), The Haven, Westminster Child Care scholarships, and others.
For 2023 the Benevolence Committee is pleased to announce on behalf of Westminster Presbyterian Church that community groups are invited to apply for funding.
To apply submit a letter, no more than one page in length, responding to questions below by Friday, February 24, 2023 at noon.
- What do you propose to use Benevolence funding for?
- Tell us how your work intersects our church’s mission (italics above).
- Include current Westminster members involved in your organization and their role.
- Please share some of your accomplishments and challenges in the past year.
- How much support are you requesting and what percentage does that request represent in your total operating budget for your organization?
- Commit to provide 100-word report suitable to publish in Westminster’s eNewsletter by March 1, 2024 on how the funds were used and the impact of these funds.
- Anything else you wish to share is welcomed.
Send letter of application by email to Rev. Dorothy Piatt-Esguerra, ; Ashley Dunn-Jalenak, ; and Cyndy Martin, .
Benevolence and Mission Endowment Committee
Westminster Presbyterian Church
400 Rugby Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903