Westminster strives to budget at least 20% of all pledge income to mission and benevolence. Designated benevolence includes giving to the PC(USA) via Presbytery of the James, University Mission, and setting aside funds for mission trips. The Benevolence Committee allocates the undesignated funds to local, national, and international efforts addressing issues of education, children’s services, refugee work, medical care, providing shelter, eliminating hunger and more. Recent examples of our recipients are: The Alliance for Interfaith Ministry (AIM), Charlottesville Free Clinic, Piedmont Housing Alliance, Jefferson Area Board for Aging (JABA), Literacy Volunteers of America, International Rescue Committee (IRC), Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, Community Mediation Center of Charlottesville, Shelter for Help in Emergency (SHE), Charlottesville Dental Access, and others.
To Apply for Benevolence support, submit a letter, no more than one page in length, responding to questions below. We review letters annually.
- What is your past and current relationship with Westminster?
- Through this ministry of the church we seek to support important work beyond our church walls that fulfills our mission, sustained by grace, to serve Christ, share God’s love and work for justice in a complex world. We currently engaged in efforts to: address racism and socio-economic disparity, respond to global refugee crises and immigration issues, address climate change, promote healthy interfaith relations, reduce hunger and homelessness, promote LGBTQ issues, end partner abuse and sexual violence, and end gun violence. Please tell us how your work intersects our church’s mission and any of these specific areas of engagement.
- How might partnership with Westminster develop beyond fiscal support?
- Please share some of your accomplishments and challenges in the past year.
- How much support are you requesting in 2016 and what percentage does that request represent in your operating budget, or for the project your are requesting funds for?
- Anything else you wish to share is welcomed.
Send completed letters to:
Chair, Mission and Benevolence Committee
Westminster Presbyterian Church
400 Rugby Rd.
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Westminster also invites proposals to be supported from its Mission Endowment Fund. Funding for 2017 is anticipated to be roughly $15,000, to support one or more innovative projects that fulfill our mission to build a more just and peaceful world. Selected proposals are eligible for several years of funding as long as suitable progress toward the goals is evident.
The committee seeks proposals that are transformative for the people served, and invite engagement from members of our worshipping community as well. We hope our support will be more than monetary, and that projects such as these can become yeast for a mission-driven congregation.
Westminster Presbyterian is a congregation formed in 1938 to minster to the University of Virginia community. We think of ourselves as a socially progressive Christian community, currently comprised of about 600 members. We are active locally and internationally in many causes through congregational financial support and volunteerism, but feel a call to serve even more through expanded engagement of our members.
Proposals should describe the project objectives, should include a budget, and identify assessment methods. Proposals should not exceed three pages in length, and should be addressed to
Mission Endowment Committee
Westminster Presbyterian Church
400 Rugby Road
Charlottesville, VA 22901
We are currently accepting letters and proposals. Funding decisions are anticipated by summer 2017 for benevolence giving and fall 2017 for the mission endowment fund.